Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Stargazer: Chloe

For my "Enhancing Creativity" Class, we did an exercise created by Martha Beck called "Stargazer". The goal of the exercise is to re-frame one's personal story and history to include seemingly negative events and see how they pave the way to the things we love most in the world.

Because I was open to the wonderful things that dogs can provide, I received the best dog in the world, the love of my life Chloe. A 3 year relationship with my partner at the time had to be ended, and when he left he took his (our) dog Chiquita, so it created the desire to have a dog of my own.

Because of my lifelong relationship with my cousin, who is more of a sister to me, and her propensity for taking in stray animals on her farm in West Virginia, when I was visiting her one of her strays had just had a litter of puppies and I said, "I'll take that one". If I hadn't experienced the painful break up of a relationship I didn't want to see end, I might not have ended up with the best dog in the world.
From Martha Beck's "Steering by Starlight" exercise.

No comments: